What to do if you are in an accident
- If you are involved in an accident, the first thing you should always do is call the police, they need to investigate the accident and prepare a collision report.
- Try to take pictures of the collision before the vehicles are moved, and surrounding area, including street signs and traffic lights.
- Gather contact information from any and all witnesses, their statements may be needed later.
- Seek medical attention. This is crucial because even if you don’t think you need treatment, symptoms or injuries often show up hours or even days after your accident.
- Do not speak the the at-fault drivers insurance, call GIG HARBOR LAW and let us do the talking for you.
- Report the accident immediately to your insurance company to report the claim and open a Personal Injury Protection (PIP) claim..
- If repairs are needed for your vehicle, get that taken care of as quickly as possible. The cost of the repairs are needed for your claim.
- Always fully follow the recommended treatment of your doctors, therapists and any one else assisting in your recovery.
- Be aware of the time that has passed since your accident. In Washington State, the statute of limitations gives you three (3) years from the date of the accident to file a claim.